Friday, July 12, 2019

Summer Plans and Intentions

425.jpg

The holidays have started for us now, and I want to make the most of our short island summer. I’ve been thinking about what I want to do over the next couple of months, writing lists, creating vision boards - you know the sort of thing.
There’s nothing very complicated, or too expensive on the itinerary, although a fair few items do depend on good weather, which is never guaranteed. Still - I think there’s enough to be getting on with there, and I hope to share my progress in the weeks ahead.
440.jpg
But to be able embrace these long lazy days - I need to have my house in order. I’ve realised, (very belatedly) that I work best from lists. If I write out a to-do list first thing in the morning then I am more likely to achieve at least a few of the tasks, whereas if I don’t have a plan, then I am prone to faffing and frittering the day away. It’s taken more than half a century for me to understand this about myself, but, what is life if not a journey of self-discovery?
Now don’t get me wrong - faffing and frittering are perfectly fine activities to take part in - my favourite things, in fact. But it’s those heart sinking moments, for example, trudging wearily home after a full day at the beach, to the chaos of an untidy kitchen, or taking a book and an iced tea out to the deck chair in the garden, and tripping over the massive laundry mountain waiting to be put away. I’m not good at these things at the best of times, but it seems harder in the relentlessness of Summer.
441.jpg
So, with a view to fully relaxing into my summer plans - I intend to be much more organised and to avoid letting all the chores slide. Not in a rigid, regimented way - I've no desire to be a drudge and miss everything. Neither do I want to be systematically ticking off each activity as it is completed - “ ate strawberries - check”. No - what I am aiming for is a kind of organised spontaneity, if that makes sense.
442.jpg
It’s all about balance, really - finding that sweet spot. If you happen to find it - do let me know. Then we can all take some time to smell the roses. I’ve got the wine chilling, I'm so organised…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx